William J. ‘Bill’ Twomey
June 9, 1941 – June 20, 2014
Bill Twomey was born in the Bronx, grew up in Edgewater Park and graduated from Cardinal Hayes High School. He would marry Carol, a Preston High School graduate. Their home at Revere Avenue and Dill Place since 1980 is where they raised their son, Sean and daughter Erin. Bill retired from Consolidated Edison, working as an investigator with the Law Department. In retirement, he would work as a tour guide at Yankee Stadium.
Bill Twomey is remembered as a Bronx Historian, but he was active in the community and at St. Frances de Chantal. He served as an officer and member with the Holy Name Society, Nocturnal Adoration Society, The Cardinal Spellman Retreat House, Knights of Columbus and New York Irish History Roundtable.
Bill was also very proud to assist the youth, serving as Commander of St. Frances de Chantal Sea Cadet Battalion. Many community organizations fondly remember Bill as an active member and officer of the Throggs Neck Home Owners Association, Throggs Neck-Zerega Community Advisory Council, Throggs Neck-Soundview Mental Health Board and the Throggs Neck Volunteer Ambulance Corps.
Starting in 1983 with in the Bronx Times Reporter, Bill’s thousand Bronx history articles and 6 books have surpassed his mentor and friend John McNamara. Bill conceived the naming of “John McNamara Square” steps from the Twomey home. “The Bronx in Bits & Pieces” features a collection of Bill’s best stories. The Bronx County Historical Society awarded Bill the Poe Award of Literary and Artistic Excellence in 2006.
In 2005, Bill founded the East Bronx Historical Forum, now in its 11th year. Bill Twomey, for many years, until 2014 served as an officer and trustee at the Huntington Free Library, where he gave many lectures and neighborhood tours. The Library honors Bill’s legacy with the Bill Twomey Scholastic Award for achievement in Bronx history by a high school senior from the Bronx.