Before borough consolidation in 1898, when the area we live in today was not yet referred to as “The Bronx,” the Huntington Free Library and Reading Room had already been serving the community. 

Opened on October 17, 1891 and incorporated in 1892 by railroad magnate Collis P. Huntington for the then Town of Westchester, the library was created “to provide a place where all persons without distinction of race or creed may assemble for the purpose of reading, study, education and self improvement.”

The Huntington Free Library has kept to the edict issued by Collis Huntington more than 125 years ago, and through various programs, lectures and its collections, still serves as an important resource for the entire Bronx.

Upcoming Events at the HFL